and we have days left!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Medio Camino - Halfway

As of today we've been in Lima three months.  That's half of our internship!  So we've really setteled into our schedules here.  A big schedule change, though, was when our parents visited over spring break.  My parents and sister got to be a part of some of the normal activities like kids' time in Villa Maria on Sunday morning and women's Bible study on Saturday.  We also went to Machu Picchu for a big change in scenery and schedule. 

Durham family at Machu Picchu
Speaking of schedules, let me tell you what today looks like for me.  At nine I walked to Starbucks to meet Kyle, Wes, and our British missionary friends to plan our mission trip to Pucallpa, a city in the jungle.  The trip will be next Monday through Friday and we'll be laying a concrete floor for a church there (hello memories of high school mission trips to Mexico!) as well as doing a small medical campaign.  You would think that a meeting about building materials would be really boring, but with the language jokes (mixing US and UK English and Spanish all together) and the general laid back personalities of everyone involved, it was a rather entertaining time.  Now I'm taking my designated "communication/administrative/fit-whatever-needs-to-be-done" time to write this blog.  Around 2 I'll take a bus to Ele Latina for Spanish class with my teacher Mary.  We have a one-on-one class and it's great because we can just have conversations and I learn so much.  After that I'll meet up with Taylor, Kyle, our friend Gaby, and John Mark (with whoever can fit into his car) to go to jam session to practice songs for church, learn new ones, and have a bit of musical fun with everyone there.  I'll go home for dinner after that, do a bit of homework, read some of When Helping Hurts (the book our team is currently reading and discussing together), then get to be early for the girls' 6am work out tomorrow morning.
Each day has something different, but that's just a small look into my life right now.
Chau!
-JLD

I saw real llamas in Cusco and at Machu Picchu!

No comments:

Post a Comment